Everything old is new again, including shower head styles. The gold shower head was once a staple in many homes across the country, but it fell out of fashion as styles and trends changed. In recent years however, gold and polished brass shower heads are back, featured in home magazines and interior design blogs around the world.
If you are searching for the perfect new shower head, gold or brass could be a good fit. A gold finish adds a touch of elegance to any bathroom, making the entire space feel modern and chic.
But gold and brass hardware offer more than just looks. When you do your research to ensure you’re getting a quality, all-metal shower head you can also enjoy the best shower experience every day.
Keep reading to learn whether the gold shower head is back in style or just a fad - and decide if this modern shower design is right for you.
Shower Head Trends Through the Years
The 1970s and 1980s were popular decades for gold accents and polished brass décor. It was not uncommon for homes to have a gold shower head in every bathroom. Most were fixed to the wall and relatively small. We had yet to discover the joys of handheld shower heads or massive rain showers.
The 1990s and 2000s brought a new wave of shower head styles in a variety of colors and finishes. Gold shower heads were slowly phased out in favor of chrome or brushed nickel.
Today, it seems that chrome is here to stay as a timeless and classic finish for shower heads. But gold and polished brass shower heads are definitely making a comeback.
Why are gold shower heads back in style?
If you grew up in the 1970s or 1980s, you may consider gold shower heads to be outdated, so their resurgence could come as a surprise. So what is it about these shower heads that are making them so trendy?
There are many possible reasons why gold and other similar shower heads are back in style. Brass shower heads and gold shower heads have come a long way in the last 50 years - offering both style and function. While the styles today may be inspired by the past, they can certainly stand on their own.
If you’re trying to decide whether to use gold or brass bathroom hardware in your home, then it’s time to explore why these trendy picks could be right for you.
Retro Brass Shower Heads are Trendy Again
One potential reason for the resurgence of gold shower heads is the popularity of retro and vintage styles. Vintage items - from clothing and furniture to decorative accents - have all come back into fashion as they are discovered by new generations.
For bathrooms, this means embracing the gold and polished brass finishes of years past.
Polished Brass Shower Heads Make a Statement
Polished brass shower heads are among the top interior design trends for 2021 and 2022. Gold and brass accents make a statement, and many designers are incorporating these finishes on everything from shower heads and faucets to bathroom lighting.
In past years, the bathroom was a space to be minimalized and often faded into the background. But today, homeowners are investing a considerable amount of time and money into upgrading their bathrooms and making them a room that stands out and feels like a sanctuary.
Whether a bathroom is upgraded with a gold shower head set or brass hand held shower head, these old-is-new-again bathroom accents make for the perfect statement piece.
Today’s Gold Shower Heads are Modern and Chic
While today’s gold and brass shower heads may be inspired by the designs of years past, modern gold shower heads are very different.
Brass hand held shower head sets are simple, sleek but highly functional, with options for varying water pressure and multiple spray styles. If a spa-like experience is what you’re after, gold or brass rain shower heads offer the ultimate luxury shower experience. And a rain and hand held shower head combo can offer the best of both worlds.
Is a gold shower head really right for you?
If you’re trying to decide whether gold bathroom hardware is right for your home, it’s important to not only consider the benefits of a gold shower head but also look at the many other shower head options out there.
There is no right answer when it comes to which shower head finish is best - it’s really about personal preference.
- Chrome: Polished chrome is a timeless option for shower heads. Chrome shower heads tend to be less expensive and can be found in most homes.
- Polished Nickel: If you like a silver or chrome color but want a bit more elegance, polished nickel is a great choice. Better yet, it won’t tarnish.
- Brushed Nickel: For an understated look, brush nickel offers a popular color with a more unique matte finish. This style works well with a variety of wall colors and hues.
- Matte Black: For a look that is both classic and modern, a simple matte black shower head really stands out. Much like gold shower heads, these are very trendy.
- Bronze: Bronze or gold shower heads offer a polished, sleek design with plenty of shine. These colors make a statement and elevate any bathroom.
- Brushed Gold or Brass: If you want the look of gold without making too much of a statement, consider a brushed or matte finish for your shower head.
Popular Gold Shower Head Styles
If you do decide to go with a gold or polished brass handheld shower head, there are still more decisions to be made. Gold shower heads come in a variety of styles and finishes, so you can pick the best option for your bathroom. Some of the most popular gold shower head styles include brushed gold, brushed matte gold, polished brass, and champagne bronze.
Brushed Gold Shower Head
Brushed gold is a popular shower head finish for modern designs. The contemporary style offers a subtle gold color without going over the top. If you want a classy look while still featuring gold accents, consider brushed gold.
Brushed Matte Gold Shower Head
For those who consider polished gold outdated or gaudy, matte gold shower heads offer a great alternative. A matte finish can mute the gold tone while still letting the color stand out - it’s a great modern twist on classic gold! You will often find this style in high-end and luxurious designs.
Polished Brass Shower Head
Polished brass is a classic gold tone for shower heads, and it has evolved significantly since the 1970s and 1980s. If you want the shine and sparkle of gold, polished brass is a must. The gold tone will be the star of the show in any bathroom design.
Champagne Bronze Shower Head
Champagne bronze is a newer style for gold shower heads, combining the classic warmth of gold or bronze with a more muted tone. This is a very sophisticated option that works well with a lot of paint and tile colors.
Tips for Styling a Gold Shower Head in Your Bathroom
If you are not used to having a gold shower head, it can seem daunting to style it with your bathroom. Thankfully, you do not have to be a professional interior decorator to seamlessly incorporate gold or brass hardware into your bathroom.
Consider the following tips when upgrading your bathroom with gold or brass accents:
- Use Gold for the Details: Committing to gold accents for the shower usually means you’ll want to incorporate touches of gold or brass in other areas of the bathroom, too. Gold mirror frames, gold details in wallpaper, and gold decorative accents can bring the whole room together.
- Upgrade to Gold Accessories Elsewhere: Make sure your gold shower head aligns with your space by upgrading your other bathroom accessories. Consider purchasing gold sink faucets and gold lighting for a coordinated look.
- Choose a Specific Gold Finish: If you choose to upgrade your bathroom fixtures and accessories, stick to one specific gold finish. Mixing and matching with different finishes can look sloppy and disjointed.
- Select Complementary Colors: You can further upgrade your bathroom by choosing complementary colors for your gold shower head. Rich jewel tones, warm earth tones, and classic black or white colors let gold accents shine. Stay away from yellows that tend to clash with gold finishes.
Find Your Perfect Gold or Brass Shower Head
If you want to elevate your bathroom, a gold shower head could be the best option.
If you’re ready to makeover your shower (or even your whole bathroom) with this trend, then it’s important to find a shower head that will not only look great in your space but give you the quality and functionality you want, too.
You can find the best gold and brass handheld shower heads from The Showerhead Store, including the Hammerhead Showers polished brass handheld shower head and brushed gold handheld shower head. As well as the all-metal innovative dual shower head which includes a rain shower head, handheld sprayer, 72" shower hose and 3-way diverter to elevate your shower experience.
Looking for other shower head inspiration? Be sure to explore all of The Showerhead Store’s high quality shower head options and contact us if you have any questions for our shower head experts.